When Will the US Reach 100,000 COVID deaths?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is infuriating to me. If we would just change a few very simple behaviors--wear masks, stay out of crowded indoor spaces, keep our distance and wash hands often, ALL of us could get on with our lives. I'm furious that I haven't been able to visit my elderly mother and siblings that all live out of state. Thankfully, our DD and her husband moved back from MA to PA a year ago. I would be crushed if I wasn't able to see her.

We are failing and our country's leadership is to blame. This should have been a public health crisis first and foremost; instead it became political and divided us all. End of rant.

It is infuriating to me. If we would just change a few very simple behaviors--wear masks, stay out of crowded indoor spaces, keep our distance and wash hands often, ALL of us could get on with our lives. I'm furious that I haven't been able to visit my elderly mother and siblings that all live out of state. Thankfully, our DD and her husband moved back from MA to PA a year ago. I would be crushed if I wasn't able to see her.

We are failing and our country's leadership is to blame. This should have been a public health crisis first and foremost; instead it became political and divided us all. End of rant.
But what's stopping you? Especially if you do all the steps you mention?

I'm furious that I haven't been able to visit my elderly mother and siblings that all live out of state. Thankfully, our DD and her husband moved back from MA to PA a year ago. I would be crushed if I wasn't able to see her.
You really shouldn't be traveling much even to visit family out of state at the moment. How many times have people been talking about travel-related spread even within one's own state? Not only that but any time people mentioned traveling they get the coals raked over them and called irresponsible. So even if all the precautions were being done that's a high risk activity there. It doesn't take much for places to get out of control as we've seen countless times.

Best to stay close to home and if visiting with family in your home area wearing masks especially when indoors (this part is a hard thing I think for us all to actually follow when it comes to visiting with our own families).

You really shouldn't be traveling much even to visit family out of state at the moment. How many times have people been talking about travel-related spread even within one's own state? Not only that but any time people mentioned traveling they get the coals raked over them and called irresponsible. So even if all the precautions were being done that's a high risk activity there. It doesn't take much for places to get out of control as we've seen countless times.

Best to stay close to home and if visiting with family in your home area wearing masks especially when indoors (this part is a hard thing I think for us all to actually follow when it comes to visiting with our own families).

Agreed with this. You shouldn't really be seeing anyone you don't live with at all right now.

Agreed with this. You shouldn't really be seeing anyone you don't live with at all right now.
So based on your logic, since I live alone, I should completely isolate and not be able to see anyone? I’m sorry, but as long as people are careful and keeping “bubbles” small I think this mindset is extreme. I visit with my parents and we’ve all been careful and it’s not like we’re hosting 20 person gatherings. It’s just me and them, and sometimes my sister and brother-in-law.

So based on your logic, since I live alone, I should completely isolate and not be able to see anyone? I’m sorry, but as long as people are careful and keeping “bubbles” small I think this mindset is extreme. I visit with my parents and we’ve all been careful and it’s not like we’re hosting 20 person gatherings. It’s just me and them, and sometimes my sister and brother-in-law.

Literally millions of people have been chillaxing by themselves since March.

Eh, I think that depends on what cases look like in your area and the area you're traveling to. We can't be lackadaisical about it but small groups can be low risk if you are taking proper precautions and you're not in an area that is currently experiencing an outbreak.

We have had small groups of friends (1-4 people) over on occasion in the 2 months. Only on weekends and we space it out with a weekend in between so we would see any symptoms materialize instead of spreading between groups. These are also people who have similar attitudes about this so they're wearing masks while in public and not going out at bars or engaging in other high risk activities (anyone doing that would not be invited to our home at this point).

I have no intention of traveling anywhere. It is just frustrating, however, I am very quick to acknowledge that many people are struggling with far worse circumstances.

I think the goal is to keep the circle you interact with (if you happen to live alone) as small as possible.

Literally millions of people have been chillaxing by themselves since March.
I’ve been “chillaxing by myself” a large percentage of the time since March. I’m not going to let someone make me feel guilty for spending a few hours a week with my parents. Especially with no end in sight to this and the fact that they live just a few blocks away from me.

I’ve been “chillaxing by myself” a large percentage of the time since March. I’m not going to let someone make me feel guilty for spending a few hours a week with my parents. Especially with no end in sight to this and the fact that they live just a few blocks away from me. I guess you must be perfect and not doing anything even low risk.

You can do whatever you want. My spouse and I do not do anything remotely risky because he is older and we cannot risk being around other people.

You can do whatever you want. My spouse and I do not do anything remotely risky because he is older and we cannot risk being around other people.
See, that makes perfect sense and I don’t fault you for that. But to make blanket statements like “you shouldn’t see anyone you don’t live with” is not practical or necessary for everyone.

More sad projections, 200K US deaths by 10/1/20 (range of 170K to 270K

https://covid19.healthdata.org/united-states-of-america
I sure hope the new treatments keep this on the low end since we do not seem to be able to manage to significantly reduce or even keep stable new infections in many area

I do not want to even think of a second wave on top of this high base line next winter
Just for perspective if now looks like 200K will occur very close to labor day, almost 4 weeks earlier than was projected 6 weeks ago.

Given the limited changes in many states, 300K could happen by Christmas

New York State reports 3 COVID deaths on Saturday. Hospitalizations fall to 556 (-25).

Mask mandates and refusing to reopen indoor dining, these things work.

Eh, I think that depends on what cases look like in your area and the area you're traveling to. We can't be lackadaisical about it but small groups can be low risk if you are taking proper precautions and you're not in an area that is currently experiencing an outbreak.

We have had small groups of friends (1-4 people) over on occasion in the 2 months. Only on weekends and we space it out with a weekend in between so we would see any symptoms materialize instead of spreading between groups. These are also people who have similar attitudes about this so they're wearing masks while in public and not going out at bars or engaging in other high risk activities (anyone doing that would not be invited to our home at this point).
Unfortunately that becomes the issue. People think "oh this place doesn't have too many cases"..yes until it starts to...

Over on another thread I had discussed Hawaii. A poster responded to me that "oh 60 cases a day, that's not too bad considering" except my whole point at that time was that Hawaii was really starting up there with their cases having more in a day than they had the entire pandemic so 60 didn't seem bad but it was relative to their number of cases previously. Hawaii was quite concerned and most of their cases were coming from gatherings since travel is quite restricted at the moment. That conversation occurred July 23rd-25th. Hawaii has now recorded much more than that. Several days ago they beat another record..124 new cases in a day....

On July 30th this was the news: "The new infections put the number of cases in Hawaii so far this month at 1,083. That’s more than the total seen from March to June, when the islands confirmed 937 cases." No offense to the other poster I was conversing with but it almost seemed like they had become desensitized to the numbers because they thought the numbers were low. They weren't low for Hawaii and now look where they are at :(

I do think there are ways to mitigate risks like I mentioned with mask-wearing but in being honest I don't think we tend to think about meeting up with our family members and wearing masks these days, at least not many of us. We're engaging in risky behavior that's why the poster was saying you shouldn't be with people who aren't in your household. I get both sides but we all should at least recognize the risk and not try these days at least when the evidence is clear low cases don't mean what people want it to mean (that's not a jab at you personally just a generalized comment).

See, that makes perfect sense and I don’t fault you for that. But to make blanket statements like “you shouldn’t see anyone you don’t live with” is not practical or necessary for everyone.
I agree.

A man in our neighborhood lives alone. Every Friday, like clockwork, he and 5 other people gather on his driveway. They are spaced in lawn chairs. Way more than 6 feet apart. They have coolers and beer/wine. I am always so happy for him to have visitors.

I think it would be very dangerous for your mental health to live alone and not see a single person since March.

I guess what really makes me mad for all of us is that it didn’t have to be like this. Had our leadership taken this seriously at the beginning of the year, began making proper preparations, etc. we would be in a much different place. Instead, government made many foolish and erroneous claims about the virus’s lack of severity...and here we are.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter