• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

CONFIRMED! Splash Mountain REFURB: August 28 - November 16, 2017

It's going to be closed for over two and a half months, during mostly hot times of year, and the mod claims that it won't impact a lot of people...
This has been beaten to death...Ryan is only stating the facts. If you add the collective attendance for any 2 1/2 month period...Sept+Oct+Early Nov is going to be one of the lowest (if not the lowest) total you'll see. "The mod" isn't claiming it will not impact a lot of people...he is stating that it will impact less people than if this refurb were scheduled at another time of the year.

This has been beaten to death...Ryan is only stating the facts. If you add the collective attendance for any 2 1/2 month period...Sept+Oct+Early Nov is going to be one of the lowest (if not the lowest) total you'll see. "The mod" isn't claiming it will not impact a lot of people...he is stating that it will impact less people than if this refurb were scheduled at another time of the year.
:thumbsup2 Well said.

Does anyone know whether Disney typically pads the refurb times (I ask with crossed fingers)? We will be there at the very end of the refurb period, and crossing our fingers that they'll finish up earlier than the end date so we can ride one of our faves.

Does anyone know whether Disney typically pads the refurb times (I ask with crossed fingers)? We will be there at the very end of the refurb period, and crossing our fingers that they'll finish up earlier than the end date so we can ride one of our faves.

It may finish a day or so early, but I wouldn't count on it happening. Plan for the fact that it will be closed until the 16th so you don't set yourself up for extra disappointment.

It may finish a day or so early, but I wouldn't count on it happening. Plan for the fact that it will be closed until the 16th so you don't set yourself up for extra disappointment.

Thanks. It's not so much me, but the kiddo factor on that one. We will definitely proceed on the assumption that it will be closed, and it will be a happy surprise if it ends up being open.

If the refurb was held during winter months, that would actually make sense. As it is, they're closing the only water ride in the most popular park during months when it's still hot. The only possible worse time would be in the middle of summer. Have you ever seen what happens to Splash wait times when it's cool outside? Even if there are more people in the park, there are less people wanting to ride Splash. This ride is needed when it's HOT. Why is that hard to understand?

And this refurb is ridiculously long. Almost three months?? How long does it take to fix a few AAs and effects, anyway? I've almost never seen a refurb take this long.

Of course, if you're not going to WDW that time of year, what do you care? It's not putting a crimp in YOUR trip.

Last edited:

I think you misunderstood. I'm on your side, as you'll see if you read my other posts in this thread. I was just saying that Disney is giving you a bad deal, and I would complain to them about it.
My bad, it did come across snarky lol! But its all good;-)

If the refurb was held during winter months, that would actually make sense. As it is, they're closing the only water ride in the most popular park during months when it's still hot. The only possible worse time would be in the middle of summer. Have you ever seen what happens to Splash wait times when it's cool outside? Even if there are more people in the park, there are less people wanting to ride Splash. This ride is needed when it's HOT. Why is that hard to understand?

And this refurb is ridiculously long. Almost three months?? How long does it take to fix a few AAs and effects, anyway? I've almost never seen a refurb take this long.

Of course, if you're not going to WDW that time of year, what do you care? It's not putting a crimp in YOUR trip.

It's not like every day is frigid in Jan & Feb, but I will concede that splash's line probably has a 30-40% drop-off in cooler temperatures. Even in cooler weather though it can be very had to find a 4th Fastpass for Splash by mid-afternoon. Only on the rarest of days are they sending empty logs.

Regarding the length of time - Every so often they have a refurb of this length on Splash. I'm sure they're going to be fixing the AAs, painting all over the place, repairs and maintenance to the ride system, fixing speakers, etc. A lot of the mechanics to this ride are underwater all the time. They wouldn't schedule an 80 day refurb if it wasn't necessary.

One final comment on the dates and relative crowd levels...Had they started this refurb on January 3rd (after the Christmas crowds) it would go until March 24th. The weeks of 2/18 (pres day), and 3/11 & 3/18 (spring break season) will likely all be busier than any week during the scheduled refurbishment.

One final comment on the dates and relative crowd levels...Had they started this refurb on January 3rd (after the Christmas crowds) it would go until March 24th. The weeks of 2/18 (pres day), and 3/11 & 3/18 (spring break season) will likely all be busier than any week during the scheduled refurbishment.
That's true but as @BuckeyeBama listed a few pages back the normal time period is exactly what time period you listed.....and you are also forgeting MLK Jr day which given what I've seen on the Boards is quite a busy time. Not to mention any Marathon time periods (which I'm not going to go back and look when those occurred in the past but still).

These were the dates listed (though I'm not pasting in the one day last year nor the upcoming one):
  • January 10, 2016 to January 14, 2016 just barely misses MLK Jr Day
  • January 5, 2015 to January 31, 2015 overlaps MLK Jr Day
  • January 6, 2014 to March 21, 2014 overlaps the dates you listed in your post
  • January 2, 2013 to March 19, 2013 overlaps the dates you listed in your post
  • January 3, 2011 to January 31, 2011 overlaps MLK Jr Day
  • January 3, 2010 to February 27, 2010 overlaps President's Day you listed in your post
  • January 4, 2009 to January 17, 2009 just barely misses MLK Jr Day
  • January 1, 2008 to February 15, 2008 overlaps MLK Jr Day but does barely misses President's Day you listed in your post
So Disney has in the past refurbed the ride during busy crowd levels that you listed in your post.

*the topic has been covered quite a lot in multiple threads and no no one is going to be able to change the schedule for this upcoming refurb it is what it is but I'm just providing information in direct relation to your quote*

That's true but as @BuckeyeBama listed a few pages back the normal time period is exactly what time period you listed.....and you are also forgeting MLK Jr day which given what I've seen on the Boards is quite a busy time. Not to mention any Marathon time periods (which I'm not going to go back and look when those occurred in the past but still).

These were the dates listed (though I'm not pasting in the one day last year nor the upcoming one):
  • January 10, 2016 to January 14, 2016 just barely misses MLK Jr Day
  • January 5, 2015 to January 31, 2015 overlaps MLK Jr Day
  • January 6, 2014 to March 21, 2014 overlaps the dates you listed in your post
  • January 2, 2013 to March 19, 2013 overlaps the dates you listed in your post
  • January 3, 2011 to January 31, 2011 overlaps MLK Jr Day
  • January 3, 2010 to February 27, 2010 overlaps President's Day you listed in your post
  • January 4, 2009 to January 17, 2009 just barely misses MLK Jr Day
  • January 1, 2008 to February 15, 2008 overlaps MLK Jr Day but does barely misses President's Day you listed in your post
So Disney has in the past refurbed the ride during busy crowd levels that you listed in your post.

*the topic has been covered quite a lot in multiple threads and no no one is going to be able to change the schedule for this upcoming refurb it is what it is but I'm just providing information in direct relation to your quote*
I didn't forget MLK - it just doesn't have the same impact on crowds over a long duration of time. It's primarily a weekend blip (unlike Pres Day which affects the week prior and after dramatically). The end of September and early October actually appear to see larger crowds than the 2 week period around MLK. Here's a decent look at expected crowd levels (I find Dave's information to be pretty accurate):
http://**************.net/wp-conten...d-Calendar-Draft-from-**************.net_.png

I think we could go round in circles discussing the "best" time to close it. It needs work. They are doing that work. It will hopefully improve how efficiently the ride runs in the long run. It's annoying for those that will miss it, but it's for the greater good. Regular maintenance will keep it running for years and years to come.

I didn't forget MLK - it just doesn't have the same impact on crowds over a long duration of time. It's primarily a weekend blip (unlike Pres Day which affects the week prior and after dramatically). The end of September and early October actually appear to see larger crowds than the 2 week period around MLK. Here's a decent look at expected crowd levels (I find Dave's information to be pretty accurate):
http://**************.net/wp-conten...d-Calendar-Draft-from-**************.net_.png
To the bolded..Well....then doesn't that make it even more interesting that the refurb is during that time period?

Touring Plans by the way has the following on MLK: "Significant increase in waits compared to adjacent days" and yes it is a weekend but the normal refurb time period has the attraction closed during busy, even if short, time period.

Even removing MLK you've got refurbs overlapping President's Day that Disney did in 2010, 2013 and 2014. According to Touring Plans for President's Day: "Increase in crowds begins the Thursday before and doesn't fade until the Sunday after". Given that President's Day was Monday Feb 18th in 2008 it means that during the 2008 refurb Disney had the attraction reopening the first day of the increased crowds (according to TP saying the Thursday before)..that is I would say is cutting it very very close.

*And yeah we could discuss this over and over that's for sure*

I think we could go round in circles discussing the "best" time to close it. It needs work. They are doing that work. It will hopefully improve how efficiently the ride runs in the long run. It's annoying for those that will miss it, but it's for the greater good. Regular maintenance will keep it running for years and years to come.
I don't think though that anyone is negating that rides need maintainence done on them..that really to be honest isn't what people are frustrated with.

It didn't work out that way when they refurbed BTMRR last year.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter