CONFIRMED! Splash Mountain REFURB: August 28 - November 16, 2017

Maybe during the refurb they'll tone down the water canons... :duck:

It was my favorite until they went from 'splash' to 'soaked to your underwear'.

Splash doesn't get you that wet. If you want soaked to your underwear, try Popeye and Bluto's Bilge Rat Barges at Universal. From chutes overhead, they repeatedly pour water into your boat!

Last edited:
One thing to add, if it hasn't been brought up already is this:

Think about the lines that will be over @ BTMRR....I realize that this isn't a water ride, but at least the 2 rides in that area would split the population in 1/2.....I'm guessing those lines will be well over 90 mins for sure :confused3. Nevertheless It's just another thing that we'll all have to live with, or at least who ever is traveling during that time period.

One thing to add, if it hasn't been brought up already is this:

Think about the lines that will be over @ BTMRR....I realize that this isn't a water ride, but at least the 2 rides in that area would split the population in 1/2.....I'm guessing those lines will be well over 90 mins for sure :confused3. Nevertheless It's just another thing that we'll all have to live with, or at least who ever is traveling during that time period.
That's a bit of what I had mentioned in a post several pages back. I was not only thinking about not getting to ride it but also where those people who would have been able to ride it now will be.

It may not have a huge impact at all but it's a possibility.

That sort of stuff can happen though anytime a ride goes down unexpectedly it's just this will be for an extended time period.

That's a bit of what I had mentioned in a post several pages back. I was not only thinking about not getting to ride it but also where those people who would have been able to ride it now will be.

It may not have a huge impact at all but it's a possibility.

That sort of stuff can happen though anytime a ride goes down unexpectedly it's just this will be for an extended time period.
True!

Uggg. Just saw this. Why on earth would they not do this long of a refurb over the colder winter months?!

Uggg. Just saw this. Why on earth would they not do this long of a refurb over the colder winter months?!

The current rumor going around is that Disney bumped Splash to fall in order to make room for another big renovation in the spring.

There's a lot of buzz that Space could be taken down for a proper refurb, but nothing's been confirmed. It's all part of the lead up to the 50th.

I think the rumor that it's closing first to not coincide with the refurb of Space is fairly accurate. Space is (far more) popular than Splash, it would make more sense to have that closed down during the slower months to avoid more of an outcry.

Even so, why aren't they waiting until after Labor Day to start this? And wouldn't it kind of make more sense to close down Splash during the winter months? It's pretty dead from December-March anyway; no one wants to get wet when it's already <60 degrees outside.

Even so, why aren't they waiting until after Labor Day to start this? And wouldn't it kind of make more sense to close down Splash during the winter months? It's pretty dead from December-March anyway; no one wants to get wet when it's already <60 degrees outside.

Starting it after Labor Day would push the three months into the Thanksgiving holiday. Disney is going to want this done before then, hence sacrificing the last bit of summer and the Halloween season to ensure that.

Yes, it makes more sense to close Splash during the winter months as Disney has consistently done for the past several years. However, it is possibly the case that whatever refurb is going to occur this spring is going to need longer than three months - things like Space and Everest haven't gone down for refurb in lengthy periods of time, so they're going to need much longer to spruce up.

If Disney were to conduct that kind of lengthy refurb in the fall season, they would miss most the holiday season. Doing it in the spring season gives Disney a buffer (Late April-May) before the huge influx of summer crowds.

All speculation, but Disney is going to have to make some hard calls if they want these refurbs done in time for 2021.

The current rumor going around is that Disney bumped Splash to fall in order to make room for another big renovation in the spring.

There's a lot of buzz that Space could be taken down for a proper refurb, but nothing's been confirmed. It's all part of the lead up to the 50th.

Soooo do you think that Space might be down like in the first week of January?? (We have an adults only trip for F&W in Sept and a family trip the first week in January while DS is on winter break from college - considering bringing a college friend on that one so if Space was down then that would suck for his friend...). I would rather they both be up for January....for adults only we can do w/o Splash....

Soooo do you think that Space might be down like in the first week of January?? (We have an adults only trip for F&W in Sept and a family trip the first week in January while DS is on winter break from college - considering bringing a college friend on that one so if Space was down then that would suck for his friend...). I would rather they both be up for January....for adults only we can do w/o Splash....

I can't say whether or not it is Space that will be down next. But based on past refurbishment calendars, Disney will likely close whatever attraction is slated within the first week or so of January.

I can't say whether or not it is Space that will be down next. But based on past refurbishment calendars, Disney will likely close whatever attraction is slated within the first week or so of January.

This will be our 3rd trip in a row during that week - we've had better luck with that week than later in January (MLK) with less refurbs. Likely because they like to have most things open over the winter holidays and thru the marathon weekend. Will keep fingers crossed that week doesn't get hit.

This will be our 3rd trip in a row during that week - we've had better luck with that week than later in January (MLK) with less refurbs. Likely because they like to have most things open over the winter holidays and thru the marathon weekend. Will keep fingers crossed that week doesn't get hit.

That's really all you can do anyways.

Well that kinda sucks if I end up going Labor Day weekend.
You'd think they'd wait until just after that.

I was hoping for the same thing too! I am arriving on August 26. Already planned DHS for the 26th and AK for the 27th with Fantasmic and ROL dining packages booked. Now I will have to go to MK after Fantasmic and MK before ROL lunch to squeeze in a few rides on Splash and BTMRR. I may get 2 7-day Express Bus for the 9 days at WDW to save park to park travel time. Didn't plan on hopping on these two days but plan has to change. Splash is one of our favourite rides.

It's official-Disney must have noticed my reservation... because Splash is being refurbed during my trip.

Just like last time...at an unheard of time of the year...just like last time...Mickey, is there some reason you are keeping me from all the fun in the brier patch? I believed it when it was first posted but I kinda held out hope since this was going to be my only shot at riding the WDW Splash. Well, hopes dashed. :sad:

Splash doesn't get you that wet. If you want soaked to your underwear, try Popeye and Bluto's Bilge Rat Barges at Universal. From chutes overhead, they repeatedly pour water into your boat!

If "Doesn't get you that wet" = looks like I just jumped in the lake with all of my clothes on, then no, Splash "doesn't get you that wet."

(Just in case anyone is unaware, you can get absolutely soaked on Splash. I have.)

Now I realize many of you are upset but remember this, this is for the better. Disney is planning a lot of refurbs as we approach the 50th anniversary. I wouldn't have put out the info had I not got it from a source I trust. I am not one to try and spread rumors that have little backing.

Except its only for the better for those that get to go back-for those of us that dont...its really not for the better for us. It's not much of a comfort that while I'll never get to ride it other people will and they will get to enjoy it even more without me. In fact that kind of burns even worse.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter