Not getting notifications etc.

I couldn't agree more! That is my standard landing page for the DIS - the best way is to just bookmark the site as http://www.disboards.com/watched/threads/all, so whenever I arrive at the site, the first thing I see is whether there are any new messages in the threads that I follow or have posted to. Getting emails every time new post arrive in one of my very busy FAQ threads would blow up my inbox in no time at all! :)

I always used to use the DIS in that way on the old software too by the way, by setting my landing page to go to the User Control Panel which gave me basically the same view but with the added bonus of also seeing new PMs at the top.

Andre

I subscribe to too many threads for that to work. I need the email notifications to work for ME. I'm glad the other way works for you.

The system has a function for subscribing to email alerts. It needs to work.

I'm curious if anyone who had an issue since the conversion has actually had their problem rectified?

I have still not gotten a single solitary email notification since the old site went away. And I continue to subscribe to new threads daily.

Last edited:
Just to check, does everyone have the various email options selected in their profiles too? I'm not sure which ones make a difference for thread notifications, but it's certainly worth checking.

A few you could try, to see if they are set incorrectly for your way of working:

upload_2015-2-11_12-37-7.png

upload_2015-2-11_12-38-8.png

upload_2015-2-11_12-38-44.png

Not sure whether enabling/disabling Alerts also does the same for emails:

upload_2015-2-11_12-40-19.png

As I said, I don't use thread emails or alerts myself as I'm subscribed to far too many threads to make that practical (600+ at last count) so I use the unread/watched list instead, which makes it a lot more manageable for me - but I fully understand if other people prefer lots of emails instead. [I've just enabled emails notifications for this thread only, and will let you know what happens]

Andre

With the settings that I indicated in my previous message, subscribing to a new thread by replying with the 'email notifications' option selected when I posted, resulted in the following email being sent immediately upon a new reply being added to the thread:

upload_2015-2-11_14-27-12.png

I obviously can't guarantee that it will work for everyone, but obviously the boards are issuing email notifications in some cases at least.

Andre

With the settings that I indicated in my previous message, subscribing to a new thread by replying with the 'email notifications' option selected when I posted, resulted in the following email being sent immediately upon a new reply being added to the thread:

View attachment 2222

I obviously can't guarantee that it will work for everyone, but obviously the boards are issuing email notifications in some cases at least.

Andre
"Some cases" being the key words. Sometimes I get email sometimes I don't. Sometimes I'll get an email for certain threads and the next day I won't get email for those same threads, and yes people have posted to those threads.

Would love to know if the sender: "webmasteralex@wdwinfo.com" has ever received an error 550 message, bolded below. I use Verizon and have my spam filter ON, but have chosen to have any spam placed in my spam folder on the server. I have never had any DIS emails in the spam folder nor have I ever received any emails from this address since conversion.

I do continue to receive DIS Updates email from: "noreply+feedproxy@google.com"
Return-path:
<3AWLbVBEKAN4NOREPLY+FEEDPROXYGOOGLE.COM@feedburner.bounces.google.com>
Received: from mail-yk0-f199.google.com ([209.85.160.199]) by vms172095.mailsrvcs.net
(Oracle Communications Messaging Server 7.0.5.34.0 64bit (built Oct 14 2014))

I wonder if Verizon and other ISPs are blocking the webmasteralex IP address? Maybe it's an open proxy/relay server or a dynamically assigned IP address? Maybe someone who is receiving the emails, like Andrew, could post the raw source for a comparo?

I'm not in IT nor do I even play one on TV so my apologies to the IT experts if I'm way off here.

________________________________________________________________________________________
Verizon Whitelist PolicyVerizon Online's spam-blocking procedures block certain IP addresses and domains that are identified as or suspected of being sources of spam, viruses, or other threats. "Whitelist" requests may be made to exempt specific addresses or domains from being blocked by these procedures.

Please note that whitelisted status does not guarantee delivery of email. There are a number of reasons why email may not be delivered aside from the spam-blocking procedures that whitelisted status addresses, including issues with the sender's ISP or the recipient's filter settings.

Whitelist requests should be made only if the sender of blocked email receives the following error message:

ERROR 550 Email from your Email Service Provider is currently blocked by Verizon Online's anti-spam system. The email "sender" or Email Service Provider may visit http://www.verizon.net/whitelist and request removal of the block.

If the sender did not receive this error message, whitelist status may not address the issue. The sender should contact his or her ISP. Verizon Online customers may also check their spam filters and Spam Detector folder. For further assistance, please refer to Email troubleshooting in the Verizon Help site.

To protect its customers and its networks, Verizon Online reserves the right to reject whitelist requests and to revoke whitelist status if granted. Verizon Online may deny or revoke whitelist status without notice for any of the following reasons:

1. Whitelist status will be denied to or revoked from servers that are open relays or open proxies.
  2. Whitelist status may be denied to or revoked from direct connections from dynamically assigned IP addresses.
  3. Whitelist status may be denied to or revoked from senders with reputations for sending spam, as determined from publicly available sources on the internet.
  4. Whitelist status may be denied or revoked if Verizon Online receives complaints regarding email sent from the exempted sender.
  5. Whitelist status may be revoked if more than 10% of email from an exempted IP address is rejected as undeliverable or the sender refuses to accept notices that email was not deliverable.
    Additionally, to obtain and maintain whitelist status, senders must agree and adhere to all the following terms:
    1. All whitelist requests must contain the requestor's valid contact information.
    2. All email originating from the whitelisted address must be compliant with the federal Can Spam Act of 2003.
    3. All bulk email to Verizon Online subscribers must be solicited, meaning that the sender has an existing relationship with the recipient and that the recipient has not requested not to receive mailings from the sender.
    4. All subscription-based email must include the sender's valid, non-electronic contact information, including phone number and physical mailing address, in the text of each email.
    5. Persons transmitting mail from the whitelisted address must not hide, forge, or misrepresent the sender of the email or the sending domain.
      Finally, the following technical requirements must be met:
      1. The sending domain must have an MX record.
      2. The server listed in the domain's MX record must accept mail to the address from which mail is sent.
      3. The server listed in the domain's MX record must not block verizon.net or 206.46.252.0/24.
      4. List servers must use a valid "envelope from" address to accept message bounces.
      5. Servers must be secured to prevent unauthorized or anonymous use.

"Some cases" being the key words. Sometimes I get email sometimes I don't. Sometimes I'll get an email for certain threads and the next day I won't get email for those same threads, and yes people have posted to those threads.

Same goes for me. Right after conversion, the emails started going to my junk folder. Then I added webmasteralex to my contacts and started getting them in my inbox. Then I stopped getting them altogether. Then I started getting them again. This morning, two of six messages went to junk, the rest to my inbox. There's no rhyme or reason to what's happening.

:badpc:

I couldn't agree more! That is my standard landing page for the DIS - the best way is to just bookmark the site as http://www.disboards.com/watched/threads/all, so whenever I arrive at the site, the first thing I see is whether there are any new messages in the threads that I follow or have posted to. Getting emails every time new post arrive in one of my very busy FAQ threads would blow up my inbox in no time at all! :)

I always used to use the DIS in that way on the old software too by the way, by setting my landing page to go to the User Control Panel which gave me basically the same view but with the added bonus of also seeing new PMs at the top.

Andre
That day you first posted the link, I went to my profile page and put it (and the sweepstakes) in my profile. Now whereever I am I can get to that link!
If i'm near the top of a page I click my profile. If i'm near the bottom of a page where the post reply box is, I click my picture, my mini-profile pops up and there's that link. I love it.
It means my profile isn't interesting :P But it's very useful!

eta: I do not want this to sound as if I'm dismissive of the issue of those who aren't getting emails :( I get that this method doesn't work for you. And I don't want to make light of it.

Last edited:
Just to check, does everyone have the various email options selected in their profiles too? I'm not sure which ones make a difference for thread notifications, but it's certainly worth checking.

A few you could try, to see if they are set incorrectly for your way of working:

View attachment 2210

View attachment 2211

View attachment 2212

Not sure whether enabling/disabling Alerts also does the same for emails:

View attachment 2213

As I said, I don't use thread emails or alerts myself as I'm subscribed to far too many threads to make that practical (600+ at last count) so I use the unread/watched list instead, which makes it a lot more manageable for me - but I fully understand if other people prefer lots of emails instead. [I've just enabled emails notifications for this thread only, and will let you know what happens]

Andre

I had selected the email option under browsing preferences in my personal details early on. But I had never seen the "enable email notifications" from the drop down box at the bottom of the (very lengthy) list of my watched threads. So I clicked on that. But do I have to check off every thread I want it to apply to? That could take a while. I checked all the ones on the first page and clicked on "enable email notification" so we'll see if that has any impact. Even before doing that though, all of those threads had the small gray "email" notation over to the right on that column.Now that I think about it though, I'm thinking I did that one day last week already.

And not one single email since the conversion, either to my regular inbox or to my spam folder. Not one.

I really appreciate those who are brainstorming with us to try and figure this out though.

Another thing to consider is that the forums probably don't send repeat emails after the first one, until you have gone back onto the site and read that thread.

As for messages going into people's junk/spam filters, sadly that's not really something the DIS has a lot of control over (unless somehow the site has got itself blacklisted, which they might be able to contest).

Andre

Another thing to consider is that the forums probably don't send repeat emails after the first one, until you have gone back onto the site and read that thread.

As for messages going into people's junk/spam filters, sadly that's not really something the DIS has a lot of control over (unless somehow the site has got itself blacklisted, which they might be able to contest).

Andre

That has always been the case. I think that's pretty much how the alerts are working right now. And can't explain why so many of us have not gotten a single solitary email since the conversion.

That has always been the case. I think that's pretty much how the alerts are working right now. And can't explain why so many of us have not gotten a single solitary email since the conversion.

All I can suggest is to check all the profile and thread settings that I posted, in case one of them makes a difference? It does seem to work exactly as expected for me though (sorry!).

Andre

All I can suggest is to check all the profile and thread settings that I posted, in case one of them makes a difference? It does seem to work exactly as expected for me though (sorry!).

Andre

I know it's not your fault. Believe me, I'm grateful for any suggestion anyone has. But I have scoured the various parts of this site looking for more settings I could change.

At this point I'm convinced it's something beyond my control. I hope the webmasters will have all the big fires put out soon and can take a look at this problem. I'm not ok with "it is what it is".

What makes me really angry is how this problem is being completely ignored. No one comes on this thread or anywhere for that matter to explain what the problem is, how to rectify it or if it is a problem they are working on.

What makes me really angry is how this problem is being completely ignored. No one comes on this thread or anywhere for that matter to explain what the problem is, how to rectify it or if it is a problem they are working on.

I agree that I would definitely appreciate some sort of official update.

If there are so many other critical problems occupying their time that they cannot take a look at this for the next week, month, or whatever, then it would be fine as long as I knew it was somewhere on the priority list.

I'm sure they will look into it - but to be fair on them, if you look at it objectively then it really isn't a massive show-stopping issue, because the watched thread page gives you the same info in the meantime, and they have referred to that as a work-around, just check it once or twice a day if you're worried.

Andre

I agree that I would definitely appreciate some sort of official update.

If there are so many other critical problems occupying their time that they cannot take a look at this for the next week, month, or whatever, then it would be fine as long as I knew it was somewhere on the priority list.
I'm pretty sure they're working on it, because I've seen the email address that the notifications are coming from change over the last few days (from the new address to the old address back to the new address). So they're definitely not ignoring it.

Sayhello

I'm pretty sure they're working on it, because I've seen the email address that the notifications are coming from change over the last few days (from the new address to the old address back to the new address). So they're definitely not ignoring it.

Sayhello

That helps to know. Thank you!

Ironically I've just had to turn the email notifications back off for this thread, as they are working too well and I keep getting emails about new messages.

Sorry, really not meaning to rub salt into the wounds for those who are still having problems, but it does seem to work for some people.

Andre

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter